Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Piranha LED panel

So I was buying some components on eBay, from seller nyplatform , who was a pleasure to do business with. While browsing some of the seller's wares I was intrigued by the Piranha LED panels. I've since seen them for sale from several Chinese vendors, but this one is in the US, has comparable prices, and ships USPS promptly.

I ordered the white led panels , thinking that for the price, even if they don't work well, I'm not out much money.

Unwrapping the panel, which came wrapped in bubblewrap and encased in a static bag, you'll find a non-descript white panel of LEDs, with convenient power inputs (or passthrough) on either side. Polarity is clearly marked.

I wasn't sure exactly what I was expecting, but upon powering the first panel with an old 12v power supply, I was blown away. These panels put out a lot of diffuse light!


Here's the panel lit up. The light is blinding.


Here's my best attempt at showing the amount and wide throw of the light it puts out.


So I used a little super glue to bond three panels together, soldered some wire in, and they now provide ample supplemental light to my workspace.

If you're looking for a lot of bright light for a project, give these panels some serious thought. The seller above had 24 and 48 led options available, I went with the 48. There are also larger (up to 96) and smaller options available at other sellers. My seller had blue, red, and green in stock as well, and a quick search of eBay turned up a variety of color choices in most of these sizes.

These lights will surely be finding a way into more of my projects. I'm especially eager to try the "warm white" available from some sellers (the ones pictures are the "bright white" and are very much a cool white). If they truly give off an incandescent-like warm white color, I'll be using them to supplement some of my rope light and led strip lighting around the house. I'm a big fan of always having some light around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog