Thursday, August 21, 2014

AmazonBasics Antenna Review

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Ultra-Thin-Extreme-Performance-Amplified/dp/B00DIFIP06/ref=cm_aya_orig_subj
 I was surprised at just how much better this was than the old rabbit ears antenna I was trying to get to work. I wasn't expecting such superb performance from something that is so easily hidden on the wall (mine is tucked neatly behind a framed picture).

I live only about 16 miles from all of the nearby broadcast stations, and my market is nice enough to all broadcast from towers in the same direction, actually in a cluster of towers that are all together. So getting a good signal, theoretically, should be as simple as finding something that I can point in a vaguely east by northeast direction. I've gotten antennas to work before, but with limited success. With Comcast apparently turning off ClearQAM in my area (I lost it about halfway through last football season) I needed a better solution than the rabbit ears strung up through my office for this football season. To make it worse, not only were they ugly (my wife can be quoted as saying, "Where the heck did you get that!?!", upon seeing it for the first time), but they only received 3 of the 4 major networks.

So it was with tempered expectations I plugged this antenna in to my TV. Expecting the lackluster performance of past antennas I set the set to autotune and discovered every channel and subchannel.

With only some minor repositioning, this antenna now sends every channel, clear as day, to my TV. The TV reports full strength bars on each of the major networks.

The AmazonBasics flat antenna is basically a copy of the Mohu Leaf, but a few dollars cheaper.

Though a type of modern fashion symbol all by itself, meaning you could hang this on the wall as a piece of art or discussion piece, it is easily hidden behind a picture with no degradation of the signal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog